Friday, December 02, 2005

Gift recommendation

If you are shopping for literary-minded friends but are afraid of buying a book they already own, consider the Sweet Shop Owner. It is one of Graham Swift's (Last Orders) earlier books. I've read almost all of Swift's novels and this is my favorite. Like nearly all of his books, the main character is a working class Briton. The action of the book takes place on a single day in the candy store of the title character. As he goes about his daily tasks, he reviews his life and his successes and failures. Swift's characterization is excellent and I particularly liked the estranged relationship with his daughter. Books like these always make me reflect on my own relationships and how I might improve them. If your friends like books about the examined life, then this will be a big hit.

No comments: