Friday, September 08, 2006

Ah, the good ole days

Now I am one of those who poo-poos the idea that political correctness has much impact on anything of note. For example, it drives me nuts when someone recommends that we might take Islamic viewpoints into account before making public statements. "Political correctness!" they shout. No, it's marketing. That said, the world of videos is definately constrained by PC. You wouldn't see songs like these on the indie playlist these days.

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio. How can you dislike a song with this lyric "I understand, just a little/no comprende it's a riddle." This would be one of the archetypical 80s modern rock tunes.

Vapors - Turning Japanese. I realize that if you think about it, this is a sly nod to Chinese/Japanese/Dirty Knees/Look at These. But I love the singer's Brit-mullet and everyone loves songs about the low five. What, you heard the Vapors claim it is not about dancing with yourself? Well, I will take the deconstructionist stance here and claim the text stands on its own regardless of what the author says. So there.

Rolling Stones - Little T&A. It's always great when Keith sings, and this is one of my favorites. It's hard to imagine a major rockstar belting out "Ah, the little bitch has got soul." Oh wait, I forgot, mysiogony is TOTALLY* cool these days. My bad.

*Sorry for the goofy kids lip synching vid. The real video uses the weak-ass radio friendly lyrics. The song can only be appreciated with the real words.

No comments: