Friday, March 13, 2009

Jason and his Argonauts

I thought it might be terribly cheesy, but I checked out Jason and the Argonauts for the kids. I was worried the age (the film is from the early 60s) might make it terrible. They actually loved it. The hammy dubbed over voice acting is great and the special effects were a huge hit. I now understand the SNL Hercules skit a bit more. (Curse the NBC gods for removing the clip from YouTube without uploading it onto Hulu). Our overall enjoyment was helped by our reading of D'Aualaire's Book of Greek Myths, so my eldest could share insights with the younger two. Check the bronze warrior Talos below:



This is surprisingly good entertainment and we will be renting Clash of the Titans and the Sinbad movies as well.

2 comments:

Jen said...

God love Ray Harryhausen! "Clash of the Titans" is the reason I studied Comparative Literature and especially Ancient Greek in college. Not that I really use it in "the real world" but whatever. Thanks, Ray. And Harry Hamlin.

Tripp said...

Did you see a remake of Clash of the Titans is in the works? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800320/). Unless they bring back the Harryhausen goodness, it will be a travesty. I fear the CGI on this one.

Can you still read the Ancient Greek?